Saturday, January 6, 2007

The wind and the Sun: Fable


By Aespo.





The wind and the Sun were arguing which was the stronger.
Suddenly they saw a traveller coming down the road, and the Sun said: “I see a way to decide our arguing. Either of us can cause that traveller to take off his cloak shall be regarded as the stronger. You begin. ”The Sun then retired behind a cloud, and the Wind began to blow as hard as it could upon the traveller. But the harder he blew the more closely did the traveller wrap his cloak round him, till at last the Wind had to give up in despair. Then the Sun came out and shone in all his glory upon the traveller, who soon found it too hot to walk with his cloak on.

This fable is an amazing fable and it’s so true.

What this fable is basically telling us is that when you approach someone on a friendly and compassionate way you can make people change more willingly than you ever can, with your “argues”. And through this knowledge we must understand that we can never change someone’s point of view by arguing or forcing them, instead we can change our approach and appreciate them, and try to understand them, it’s a lot easier to change someone’s view point by telling them what you think in a more appreciated way, for example by first letting them know that you honestly appreciate them and then coming with whatever it, dislike maybe.

5 Comments:

At January 7, 2007 at 2:06 AM , Blogger Baffington.post said...

I like it mostly because I am just the opposite.
I have a very strong and emotional temperament, and I tend to ruin everything because I explode always at the wrong moment in the wrong place!
But once in a while, the few times I am able to control myself I find it so true and effective!
If just we humans could be once in a while less "human" and more "computers"!!!
Patrizia

Happy New year!!!

 
At January 7, 2007 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Forgetful God said...

I've always liked this story...it's a perfect example of how reality works around us. The wind tries to exert force to get what it "wants" from the traveller...and of course the traveller (reality) fights back. The sun does nothing but be itself, it relaxes, and reality follows suit...the traveller relaxes and takes of his coat.

One of the biggest lessons I've had to learn in life is this one. The harder you TRY to accomplish something, the less you actually accomplish. Instead all your attention is spent on the effort, and none is spent on the actual doing. For example...when I TRY to understand something about myself I cannot...I'm not relaxing enough to let my "coat" fall and see what lies beneath. But when I just relax, the layers seem to just melt away...which in turn reveals the insights I was originally trying to understand.

Everything about the mind is opposite to what we think it SHOULD be. Fun, isn't it?

A Forgetful God

 
At January 13, 2007 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Interesting thoughts and thank you for commenting on my blog, Robin.

I am not so sure that the Sun, in this fable, is being relaxed. The Sun is exerting itself in the way that it does. The only reason that the traveler takes his coat off is because he has been made terribly uncomfortable by the Sun's heat.

The one commenter got it right with the Wind - the attempt at forcing the coat off by tearing at it was met with resistance. Keep in mind that the traveler was forced to take his coat off by the Sun as well - the traveler was just being manipulated by the Sun in a different way.

 
At May 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM , Blogger hgg said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At May 4, 2015 at 10:37 AM , Blogger hgg said...

Manipulation is evolution. It is adaptation. Influence cannot be had without it.

A person who leads by example, and attempts to teach without the use of manipulation, is still manipulating his or her followers, for to learn something is to change our minds

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home